Facial Palsy 顏面神經麻痺(英文)
Facial Palsy 顏面神經麻痺(英文)
The predilection season for facial palsy is between winter and spring, where patients will experience sudden inclination of eye and mouth, which is often mistaken for stroke.
Common facial palsy is known as Bell’s Palsy mostly because of the nervous inflammation caused by “ virus ” infection of facial serve, resulting in facial weakness.
- The facial muscle on one side of the face could not be controlled while the eyes could not be closed, the mouth inclined to one side and drooping.
- The wrinkles on the forehead become unclear.
- Postauricular pain, odor anomaly and reduced tears.
- The biggest difference between facial serve paralysis and stroke is the absence of complicated weakness in limbs and abnormal sensation of the former.
- In addition, other diseases caused must be identified: For example, tumor or trauma.
- The physicians can use nerve conduction velocity and electromyography for further diagnosis.
Treatment and Care
- The best approach for treating the symptoms of facial palsy is to seek for medical help as soon as possible. In case the patients are diagnosed of Bell’s palsy, the treatment method can be divided into medicinal and rehabilitation treatment.
- Steroids can be administered during the acute period and antivirus drugs should be administered in case of infection by herpes virus as treatment and shortening of recovery time. Moreover, patients can take vitamin B group to help nerve recovery.
- Eye care : Facial palsy will prevent the eyes from closing and could lead to corneal ulcer and dry eyes; hence “ Artificial tear ” is needed while the eye mask can be used during sleep to protect the eyes.
- Pay attention to oral hygiene and avoid tooth cavities.
Prevention and Rehabilitation
- About 80 % of the patients will be healed in 3 months but more severe patients will leave after effects that require rehabilitation and treatment.
- The main items of rehabilitation treatment include exercise treatment for facial muscles ( including massage ), electric simulation and thermal therapy, which can enhance the recovery or avoid muscular dystrophy.
- Under the instruction of professional, patients shall conduct self-facial massage to avoid muscle stiffness.
- Chew gum, make whistle, frown and raise eyebrow.
- Avoid eating food that is too hard and spicy.
- Palsy will become more severe in cold weather and hence the face must be kept warm in cold days.