Acquaint with Lower Back Pain 預防下背痛 姿勢一定要正確
Acquaint with Lower Back Pain 預防下背痛 姿勢一定要正確
The lifetime prevalence of lower back pain is estimated at 75% ~ 85%. In other words, as high as 80% of people will suffer one lower back pain in their lifetime. Among the adults aged less than 45 years old, the most common cause that affects daily ability and even working capacity is lower back pain. Many people are believed to have the experience in seeking medical help due to lower back pain. The cause of lower back pain is quite complicated. Structurally, the pain could be produced from the spine or the peripheral structure. For example, the spine, facet joints, Disc, ligament, fascia or the nerves, and even the internal organs near the lower back. Hence it is advised that the patients describe the details of pain to the doctor when seeking medical due to lower back pain, which will help the physician make correct diagnosis and treatment. The physician may ask the following questions during diagnosis:
- Has the patient suffered violence or trauma?
- Does the patient experience continuous pain at night?
- Does the patient use steroid?
- Did the patient have past history of cancer ?
- Has the patient lost weight?
- Is the patient’s activity restricted?
- Does the patient have difficulty with urination?
- Does the patient have stool incontinence?
- Does the patient have significantly weak lower extremity or abnormal gait pattern?
- Does the patient experience significantly stiff waist in the morning?
If the patient has had cancer in the past, unexplainable weight loss, conservative treatment without any effect and pain lasting over 1 month, inform the physician because the pain could be caused by malignant tumor and will require further examination.
The treatment on lower back pain includes rehabilitation, medicine and surgery. Additionally, it is important to develop good habits in life. Prevention comes before treatment in terms of reducing lower back pain, including good posture, reduction of heavy object loading, and reducing pressure on the spine. This will prevent injury with soft tissues such as muscle, ligament and tendon. Pay attention to the follows for lower back pain:
- Stand up with body naturally straight-up, tuck the chin and stretch the back. Keep the two sides balanced and symmetric, keep chest out, draw the abdomen back, and keep the lower back flat. Avoid slouch and wearing stilettos frequently.
- Avoid sitting for too long and use back cushion to support the lower back if necessary. Sit upright and avoid sinking into the seat. Avoid tall chairs and especially leaning against the chair that will leave the lumbar spine unsupported.
- The spine receives the least pressure from lying down among all the daily activities. Choose beds with proper hardness for bedridden, i.e. adding a layer of blanket on the wooden bed, helps you to maintain the nature curve of your waist. Do not sleep on the bed that is too soft because the buttocks will sink in, making the person pose as a pregnant woman, which will deteriorate the nerve compression by the lumbar disc. Place a pillow under the knees for bedridden.
- Correct bending motion does not mean bending the spine but to bend the pelvis and knee join and keep the spine upright at a natural angle
.Sit down with upright pose to wear shoes rather than bending over to wear shoes.
- Avoid motions that could injure the back, such as bending forward and rotating quickly, and bending backward excessively.
- When turning around to catch or pick up something, do not just twist the upper body but should the whole body around if possible.
- When lifting objects, keep the legs separate by about 45cm, one leg front and the other leg slightly behind Bend the knees and squat down, keep the back straight, and hold the objects close to the body as possible. Then stand firm and straight when lifting the objects. Bending and lifting heavy objects are the motion that consumes most efforts for the back. Avoid such motion when experiencing discomfort with the lower back.
- Hot compress can improve backache. For example, taking hot bath ( use hot water to rinse the area experiencing pain ), and hot compress. However keep the temperate moderately high and over a reasonable period to avoid skin burns.
- Do not keep the same posture for a long time. It is suggested to change the posture in every 30 minutes.
- Avoid being overweight: Overweight persons tend to lean the body forward and result in burden on the back muscles and spines. Hence it is best to maintain the weight within the ideal range.
- Proper exercises will improve and prevent the symptoms of lower back pain.
For example: Swimming, lifting dumbbell to train the muscles, walking and jogging.
The best way to prevent lower back pain is to maintain good posture and do more exercises.