The mission of the Division of Pediatric Pulmonology is to provide exemplary evidence-based, multidisciplinary care to children in the central Taiwan area and beyond. In addition to our excellent clinical care, our division is committed to providing comprehensive training to the next generation of leaders in pediatric pulmonary medicine.
The division specializes in lung diseases associated with premature birth, heart diseases (pulmonary hypertension), asthma, interstitial lung diseases, lung hypoplasia, complicated pneumonia, bronchiectasis, and sleep disorders.
Trainee in clinical observation with the director of pediatric pulmonology (Dr. Lin) and the vice-superintendent of CMU Children’s Hospital (Dr. Soong).
The training program includes the following procedures in pulmonology：
- Pulmonary Function Test: We perform multiple types of lung function tests for children and adolescents with various lung diseases, including impulse oscillometry (IOS), which allows physicians to evaluate lung function in infants too young to undergo traditional lung function tests.
- Bronchoscopy: Our state-of-the-art flexible and rigid bronchoscopy technology allows physicians to visualize vocal cords and airway abnormalities. Our experts also perform various bronchoscopic intervention procedures like laser therapies for laryngomalacia, subglottic hemangioma, and vacullar cyst, balloon dilatation for airway stenosis, and tracheo-bronchial stenting for airway-malacia and other airway obstructions. These procedures are performed at the pediatric bronchoscopy room or intensive care units.
- Polysomnography: Pediatric polysomnography is indicated to evaluate infants and children with sleep problems, such as obstructive sleep apnea syndrome, restless legs syndrome, periodic limb movement disorder, parasominas. It also evaluates underlying breathing disorders in children with neuromuscular disorders, central apnea, periodic breathing or central hypoventilation. In cooperation with our adult sleep medicine team, the sleep laboratory is able to perform multiple types of sleep study in patients aged over four years old.
- Lung function tests including impulse oscillometry (IOS)
- Laser therapy for cysts
- Balloon dilatation for airway stenosis
- Tracheo-bronchial stenting